My travel blog is all a jumble, but why not throw in a pink dinosaur. Whitney and I headed out and easily schlepped four small children as far as Vernal where we stopped at one of my favorite all time museums. The Vernal Dinosaur Museum is a lovely little gem in the ocean of natural history museums. (And I know my dinosaur museums.) Well worth the drive.
They unearthed dinosaurs and went face to face with the Utah Raptor. My favorite thing in the museum is a huge mosaic wall of paleo-botany dug up in lower Wyoming, just up the Green River from Vernal. Very pretty.
(Guess which one is me in the picture below. Did I mention I am road-tripping with out a husband on this trip?)
When we finally pulled into the cabin, we were greeted by lively show put on by 36 head of elk. There was more than just a little testosterone out in that meadow. (Cindy - this wildlife is dedicated to you.)
Notice how the really big bull on the left of the action doesn't feel the need to get in to a tussle. The rack must carry some clout all on its own.
Xanny has found his true calling in life. He wakes me up with the morning dawn to ask me if there is bait on his hook yet. He would fish all day even with out catching anything. (They don't seem to be biting. Maybe it was a hard winter on the trout this year.)
The next day he fished again (same bait and same clothes -- welcome to the cabin) and then we saw a really big moose. Maybe I got a little too close to the moose. I was hiding behind my dad's truck when I took these pictures.
Whitney headed home on Monday and we went with her as far as Steamboat to swim in the hot springs and checkout the local 200 foot waterfall. And then my kids came down with fevers and coughs and it snowed all day.
As you can see, it's just your typical June road trip complete with blizzards, moose and plenty of runny noses. Are we home yet? (Just one more week!)
5 comments:
Yes! Nature! I love the moose drooling picture and the elk in rutting season photo. I also love that mosaic wall, that's pretty cool.
Vernal is my childhood stomping grounds ---the best place to have grandparents live (especially when they live on a ranch). It no longer is mechanized - but there is a great Dinah dinasaur in front of one of the hotels that used to have a light bulb on the end of her thumb and her arm would swing up and down inviting you to come to the hotel. It doesn't get better than that for a 5 year old!
Pink dinosaurs!? What could be better!?
I'm working on a Xan-art project--hopefully it will be done soon--and then i'll do a Zina piece!
What's the plan for the fourth? Do you still need me?
Hope this week is going grand!
Andi, that's awesome. What a great trip.
All of you need to come over with me next time!
Post a Comment