Saturday, July 12, 2008

Mexico Mega Post

Nothing like a Mexican graveyard to give you a few goose bumps. Marco and I cruised inland about an hour and wandered el campo until we happened find this cathedral of the dead. So cool.

One of the gravestones asked us to say a "Padre Nuestro" for him and reminded us that he is kindly waiting for us there below. Spooky Creepy! I wonder if that was him I heard knocking from inside the casket.


I think the graves cost more than the houses in this town. I love Mexican angels. And how about the catholic SLC temple below. My favorite part is the embedded clock in between the two spires. Who changes the batteries?

You can see the edge of town behind this grave. I like this so much better than those "mow right over me" flat headstones we do here in the states. It's like we don't want to be reminded of our own mortality every time we drive past a cemetery.

My mom came with us to Mexico. She is a dream to travel with and fit right into the youngster party scene. She painted everyday and did several nice drawings.

Later that night we went to dinner in Boca at a very colorful restaurant that specializes in the BEST coconut shrimp I have ever had. Below is a shot of the front door and the stairs that lead up to the restaurant.


The wedding party took over the whole place. I got the feeling this isn't where most tourist buses stop to unload a bunch of white people for dinner, thank goodness. The food was tasty and the company plenty colorful.


They had a huge avocado tree in the back patio that was 40 feet tall and loaded with green goodness. Every dish came with a generous helping of guacamole to help us get enough calories to stay warm in the Mexico summer. (Ok, we didn't need any help with either our caloric intake or staying warm. It wasn't too hot, just quite MOIST.)

Here's our evening's entertainment.

Mom drew a lovely portrait of the guitar player. Here she is hanging with the hipsters and demonstrating her chiaroscuro techniques for Adam. It was a nice drawing that she gave to the guitar guy who was very surprised and pleased that the white lady had enough alma to capture his essence.


Here's Lyla, the lovely bride, enjoying a Margarita.

And Marco sticking with his Coca-Lite. Have you had the Mexican Coca-Lite? That stuff is GOOD. Frankly I am glad they don't sell it in the US because I would have to give up my ban of all things carbonated.

What a beautiful colorful place! We already are in the process of planning a return trip to Puerta Villarta. Who's in?

(Tomorrow I will get around to posting the actual wedding.)

3 comments:

shaunita said...

I'm plotting another trip to PV myself, so let me know the details.

tlchang said...

I love cemetaries - and wish we did better ones here in the states.

One of my favorite places that I visited in Italy was "The Church of the Dead" - a small chapel now dedicated to the mummified remains of a number of folks who had previously been buried in their cemetary. (http://tlcillustration.blogspot.com/2007/11/day-of-dead.html if you are interested).

Geo said...

I want to go. NOW.

About Me

I avoid house work by field-tripping with my kids. I avoid my kids by blogging.