I have had several comments (on and off the blog) regarding beer in bread making, and I thought it worth a post.
I like it for two reasons. First, it taste better to me. I think Utah's super dry climate makes for lousy sourdough fermentation. Maybe in NY (and other humid locals at sea level), there is enough ambient bacteria and humidity ... and beer in glasses after the bread is cooked ... that the recipe works just fine with water.
Second reason I make it with beer? Because last month I bought beer at the liquor store. (I needed just one bottle and grocery stores in Utah don't sell singles. The law requires that you buy six packs. Go figure.) Anyway ... I am just about to pay for my one beer that I am going to use to make bread for my Mormon babies, when the cashier CARDS ME!!! I was STUNNED -- and all kinds of giddy about being CARDED when I am very nearly TWICE the legal age to purchase beer.
There it is, two reasons why beer is better. I know Emily "The Purist" Asplund will take issue with my position. Such is life ... and bread.
PS: Below is a random picture from Christmas morning care of Katie. It's the only shot I have of my nearly finished Kitchen Remodel (with capital letters K and R!) This is for Carolyn and Jen -- both of the DC metro area. I promise a more detailed tour later, ladies, but you get the gist.
6 comments:
I love your "new" kitchen. I want to see the details. And I'm going to try the bread...it looks delicious - and I'm ok with buying a 6 pack - but then again I'm not in the shadow of the everlasting hills.....but didn't our mom's go through the using beer to condition their hair in the 60's or 70's? I remember my mom using a can for that...and we also use beer back here to kill slugs (they can't resist a sip and then drown in it!) and I always use the out --- that the alchohol cooks out!
Cheers!
Glad you like the bread, and glad you like being carded. Near beer has also worked fine for us with the bread. Brian is currently on a quest for the perfect artisan wheat bread and is growing a starter. We are in NC for the month so we will see how it goes as it may be totally differnt in Utah. Here's the starter he is using: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/10251/starting-starter-sourdough-101-tutorial
When you are ready for the "big time" I'll share my recipe for crazy amazing good pie crust that has vodka in it. you might as well make your trip to the liquor store worthwile!
Carolyn - Buy the six pack. You'll have one for your bread and another for your hair ... and 4 more for WHAT EVER!
Ann - Are you guys traveling with your dutch oven? Recently I have had dreams about packing mine into my suitcase when I was headed off visit family in Denver. (I have a couple of starts going, but my kitchen is too cold to get much bubbling.)
Holly - Vodka I can handle, it's pie crust that I find terrifying!
Maybe the cashier is carding people who aren't frequent buyers to see if they'll hand over their temple recommends by accident?
Hey, I tried to comment back awhile ago but lost it due to a bad internet signal and then a child needed my attention or something. We are not traveling with a dutch oven since we flew to NC from Seattle. However twice now we have given them as gifts to friends we are staying with so Brian has access for his bread. It kind of ends up being very expensive bread, but lovely gifts for friends. And now to get the starter home on the plane. . . he is worried it will be a little cold in our checked luggage but maybe it would just make it go to sleep for a bit. We may be pretending it is baby food and taking it on the plane with us.
Post a Comment