Tuesday, January 20, 2009

At Last ... The Ball

Oh, what a BALL! Last night was a magical evening that will be remembered for years to come. I think our total number of ball guests was close to 300 people. I was busy working the crowd and didn't take many pictures. In fact, I missed taking pictures of some of the people that really did the most to help pull this all together. Before I go any further, let me give a HUGE thank you to Dan and Lisa Thomas and family, Stirling and Kif Augustine Adams, and Shauna and Roger Andersen and family. (Especially their son Steve who was so charming when he personally greeted guests at the limousine and opened doors for the ladies.) I can't believe I missed getting a picture with Melissa! We were like a couple of crazy old ladies when we were planning our outfits. And finally the Pennyroyal Cafe who deserve every one's future business.

Now, on with the ball ... I promised Marcia the first picture I would post would be of "the dress". Really, this is the whole reason I wanted to throw the ball. After seeing this dress in store window, It went something like this -- "Marco, why don't we ever do anything fancy? I just want one great event a year that we can get gussied up and go all out on."

To which he said, "Hey, I know, what we need to do is throw an Inaugural Ball!" It was much cheaper than flying to DC. It was definitely more fun than flying to DC, sleeping on some one's couch and standing for hours in the freezing cold!

All great parties start with great music and they don't come any better than C.B. Jazz. This is the group we had play at our wedding reception seven years ago. I think most of them are still alive and they sounded better than seven years ago!

Last spring I was taking pictures of Provo's Gallery Stroll and met this singer named Hailey Singley. I called her up out of the blue a couple of days ago and asked to if she would sit in with the band and sing. (Normally, they have no singer. I didn't even bother to call and ask if it was alright if I hire a singer off the street!) Boy, did she ever sing. I think she only sat out on two or three numbers. She completely made the night.


Initially, I had decided not to bring my kids but they had heard my talk it up so much that they weren't going to let me party with out them! I am so glad they came. Zina danced all night long. As for Xanny, well, except for the part where the limo dropped him off at the parking garage ALONE and we nearly called the police because we couldn't find him for 20 minutes, he had a great time too.

They both looked very dapper but never held still long enough for a real picture.

My mom looked stunning in her pink sparkles. I wonder where my Zina got her penchant for pink sparkles? Hmmm.


The real belle of the ball was cousin Kjirsten, seen here with her pransom hince, Jonathan. (Nice tiara!) She is student teaching art in SLC and she worked tirelessly to help it come together. Unfortunately her brother, Soren, had to get back to BYU-I in time for Tuesday morning class and missed the ball. Thank you, Soren, for the weekend of slave-labor. Let's do it again on a Saturday.

The place looked great. We hung flags everywhere -- one in honor of each registered democrat in Utah County (somewhere between 12 and 15!) I stole the rest of these pictures from Cindy's blog. I was super happy that all my favorite people came and danced the night away.


(All my girls)


(Cindy and Whitney -- looking gorgeous and 20 something.)

(ambiance shot with Kendal, James and Rachel)

Thank you, Marco!!! It was a lovely (fancy) evening. I love you.

( I promise to post more picture as people send them to me.)

12 comments:

Margy said...

A fabulous party and definite lifetime memories! Thank you so much!

Elder Barker said...

It looks like it was great fun.

Carolyn said...

WOW I love the dress - you looked fabulouso! Can't wait to see more pictures

brooklyn said...

i sooooo wanted to go! i've never wished i lived in utah so much! looked perfect (as did your dress).

you're so awesome for throwing the whole thing.

and why do you look 21 years old and 98 lbs.?

shaunita said...

What a gorgeous dress! And what a beautiful ball. I'm so sad I couldn't be there. Thanks for letting me cut into your ball-prepping time this weekend. It was great to see you all.

GrittyPretty said...

you are a statuesque goddess divine! and the details were amazing! the limo! even the printed napkins in the bar in the limo. wow!

andi said...

I never got in the limo. They had a bar with printed napkins? What did they say?

Next time I throw a ball, I will make sure it is when all my California, DC and Idaho friends are in town.

mirjam said...

Andi, you look wunderschön and fabulous! it looks like a great night, that we missed. But I'm sure there are more to come!

coco said...

we should have been there--you can always pull off a great party and you look great!

Carina said...

You do look amazing! I'm regretting I didn't go now. At least one of those flags is for me!

Brenda E said...

I love the dress Andi. I totally can understand why you wanted an event to use it at. You look fabulous! It looks like this was a very fun evening.

Melody said...

300 Guests! How sensational. I wish I could have attended. I have a new dress I could have worn and everything.
You, Andi, look amazing. Where did you get that great vintage looking dress? And, I love your hair. Great party.

About Me

I avoid house work by field-tripping with my kids. I avoid my kids by blogging.