He might have more now, but not for long. I have sent out more friend request than I care to admit. I've sent them to people I think I met at the hairdressers or a friend's mother in law who looks kind of hip at 70 years old. My neighbor's college age niece and several people who may or may not be the same "Betsy Baker" I went to kindergarten with have been sent friend request from a crazy lady in Orem. Hell, I even took a stab at adding people I think I sat next to in pre-existence. (That's got to be the plot of a future 24 hour LDS Film Fest movie.)
Who knew I was so competitive in my marriage? I am both surprised and concerned with my behavior.
What about you? Who has more cyber-friends, you or the other grown up in your house? (This is a very small experiment!)
5 comments:
Hey, I didn't know it was a competition. And besides, I haven't gone looking - they just show up in my "Friend Request" box. So, I have lots of Friend Requests. What does it mean anyway?
It's like being in Jr. High again, only now there's an actual way to tally up whether I'm popular or not. But are these people really friends? Will they come visit me? Will we hang out, and go to movies together? Will these new friends help me with my homework? Or even hire me as their international lawyer, or buy a FiddleSticks CD (I have a lot of them on the shelf in my garage)?
I don't know. But how can I tell anybody I don't want to be their friend -- especially since the very first cyber-facebook-friend request I got was from my own mother. Once I got that, I decided it was time to stop being a Facebook luddite and prove that I'm as hip and with-it as my mom. So here I am.
Oh, wait. Ten more friend requests in my Friend Request Box. So.... just a second.... Now I have 275 smiling faces in my Facebook Friends Gallery. Hi Friends!
So what now? Should we all go to a movie?
Roger only has 10 friends and I have more. But he's only been on facebook a few days so it isn't a really good comparison.
But either way, he needs some friend invites and you can invite him to be your friend before Marco invites him!
Margy
I think when it comes to facebook compition - there's no winning - I think the last time I checked my very popular niece's tally she was in the 2,000's --- I'm going to have to compete in some other venue.....oh and by the way - in my household ---- I am by far the most popular!
I have more cyber-friends, but only because darryl only logs on to the site every other month. I like to let friend requests gather on the page like dust bunnies, then sweep out the ones I can't remember. It feels quite cathartic, in a twisted sort of way. I also have ignored people that were clearly NOT my friends when we actually saw each other in the flesh. And I'm guilt free about the decision.
Facebook friends aren´t real friends unless they call you or send you emails with more than one paragraph. Facebook is superficializing relationships to the point where a glipse at a facebook wall and a one-sentence comment have replaced real communication. Facebook is blah. And yes, addicting.
Post a Comment