Monday, November 26, 2007

Seven Wives ... and two kids.

Welcome to the Seven Wives B & B in St. George, Ut. It is a Davis family tradition to spend Thanksgiving in St. George and it's a Marco & Andi tradition to drop in on the Seven Wives while we're there.

This year we ran into two little hiccups ... kids. It seems the Seven Wives never had any children, at least that is what the nice sensible-shoes-kind-of-lady named Chris told me. "You have children? We don't do children. The Mary room only sleeps 2 and we ask that you don't bring children to the Mary room."

Well, our reservations clearly say we are bringing small children.

"Mam, you're wrong. We, however, are very well trained and we DON'T make mistakes."

Be that as it may, Chris, we are also very well trained and we actually don't make mistakes either ... we make babies. This is the Seven Wives Inn. Are you new to Utah? Do realize that means there were at least 49 children running up and down these very halls at any given time? Possibly you have a larger room where we could sleep with our mistaken babies.

"There is only the Sarah suite. But it will only sleep 3 and not 4. That one is used mostly as the honeymoon suite."
Please, spare me the details. Great, we'll take it. We will leave the other kid in the car.

Actually, it was Cindy who talked me into the more expensive honeymoon suite. (She dropped me off on her way to Vegas and only blushed a little when Chris the Inn keeper asked what the two of us wanted for breakfast. That was before the babies issue came up.) Cindy had quietly snooped around while I was arguing and returned to report that the Sarah suite had a bathtub inside of a real car. I was sold.
It is strange sleeping in a polygamy house with your husband. I tossed and turned all night long. Maybe it was Sarah herself whispering the lessons of the past into my subconscious mind. Or maybe it was my two small children who insisted on sleeping in the middle of the bed at a 90 degree angle to me and my beloved. There we were -- just the four of us. Our little family was a big dozing H in the honeymoon suite of the lesbian run Seven Wives Inn.

I woke up the next morning with a very clear feeling of calm. Deep inside me I realized something eternal. Even if I had been required to live a life of polygamy one hundred years ago in this very house -- and if my husband had come home to the "Sarah Suite" with potential wife number 8, I would have been just fine. Because I know, with out a shadow of a doubt, all would be well in Zion. No doubt my little children would find their daddy no matter where he was in that big house. They would sleep-walk right up to that bed and insist on sleeping smack dab in the middle of it. They would fuss and cry until they had their heads in his arm pits and their sharp pointy toes jabbed into the neck of who ever was trying to get within 3 feet of their dear dad ... just like they do every night. Ahh, kids. It turns out I have trained them well.

(The Sarah Suite. Can you see the car-tub through the door way?)

10 comments:

Ann said...

If we had a real car in our hotel our little man would be in heaven! I would go to St. George just to get that hotel room (and secretly smuggle my child in).

Cindy Bean said...

I'm so glad you got that tub. I forgot to ask you if Xan and Zina thought that was the coolest thing ever. We should have just gone along with the ruse that it was going to be our room.

brooklyn said...

utah is so weird (in kind of a cool way). i'm so glad you are documenting it.

Geo said...

just fine

This is an interesting point to come to.

we don't make mistakes . . . we make babies

Bravo!

andi said...

Anne - I have been a little obsessed since coming home with how to get a car into my second floor bathroom.

Chindy - You couldn't take the heat. Just as soon as she asked us what we wanted to eat you blurted out ... Uhh, your kids will really like the Banana Crepes.

Brooklyn - It is weird. I like weird things. Hey, when are you guys in town this christmas? Let's get together.

Geo - Maybe I should put that line on a greeting card. Hmmm.

Lois said...

Loved this!

The car tub is too cute.

Glad to hear that other people's children make the "H" in bed. By the way, when do they stop doing it?

bug girl said...

Good insight into polygamous living about the kids wandering through their home to the room where slept their daddy no matter the woman in the bed. I would be the mom who sent her kids at 3 am to wander the halls and find their dad because I can't stand the kids in bed with me. Basically I would only get a good nights rest when he was sleeping with some other woman and sleep is more important than anything else, especially when you go without. What a welcome.

andi said...

lois - Thanks for stopping by! Lately my kids have been sleeping in the shape of the molecular bonds of a complex hydro-carbon. Advise?

Kim - Wow. I'm not really sure how deep I want to think about that comment. Except to say that I am deeply sorry about my kids not sleeping in their own beds when you were here overnight with them. I hope it didn't drive you into polygamy!

zlb said...

this makes me profoundly sad that the seven wives inn is not kid friendly because I stayed there so many times as a kid I cannot even count. I have so many memories of running around that place and the sweet couple who ran in who were like surrogate grandparents to us and let us come in the kitchen to help make breakfast. shame on them for forgetting their kid heritage, little zina should be able to stay wherever big zina did!

andi said...

Zina - "Little Zina should be able to stay where ever big Zina did." That sounds like the theme of a good book. Does this mean we should buy your parent's house in SC and let little Zina sleep in big Zina's bed? Would that mean that I would have to sleep in little Andy's bed? (Andy is the wiener dog!)

About Me

I avoid house work by field-tripping with my kids. I avoid my kids by blogging.