Thursday, January 3, 2008

My inner-space child

Meet the new characters in our favorite bed time stories, Eosinophil, Monocyte and the bad guy, Virus. Ever since visiting our good friend Nate in his medical lab, I have been telling micro-tales of cell vs. cell. How many melodramas can one mom create using the words neutrophil, nucleus, granules (Xan calls them grand-jewels), DNA, replication, cocci, cluster cells, lymphocyte, anti-bodies and irregular nucleus? I will tell you ... legion.

Xanny stuck his head to this microscope for hours and still asked for more. What five year old wouldn't love the story of the evil virus vs. the anti-bodies. Not only is his interest in growing up to be king of his own laboratory, ever since he saw the candida yeast eat the lactose sugar he has given up sweets and candies almost completely. He doesn't want to feed sugar to micro-bad guys in his blood.

My five year old can identify four different types of white blood cells based of the shape of a nucleus and the proliferation of granules. He likes to tell the story of when Marco, as a three year old, had the misfortune of suffering a "sublexation of the radial head." Last night he made me dissect the chicken heart to count it's chambers before tossing it into the boiling pot. All the while he sang "Eating chicken soup, chicken soup with rice." Yeah, I think he will be ready for kindergarten by September.


Of course the most motivating factor to become a microbiologist ... the gloves. It's all about the gloves. Thanks, Nate. Just so you know, Xan is constantly reminding me that we missed checking out the urine samples. We'll be back.

8 comments:

Carolyn said...

I saw the gloves after the lab used for baloons and water carriers! You've got to find the out of print book I read as a child - I think it was called Jimmy Microbe and it was about the life of a microbe in a little boy's body - I think the little boy got strep and the white cells and the viruses had a war -- I just remember it was very exciting - I tried to find it a few years ago and couldn't --- in the back of my mind I think it may have been a Utah author --- see if Marco remembers it (it's our era!)

Michelle said...

Andi,
He should've attend my parasitology class at Hopkins last summer. He probably would've ruined the curve:) Oh, if he ever wants to look at urine samples under the lens - let me know, there's always plenty at my clinic.
Capitol hill still misses you guys. We'll be leaving soon though- 8 weeks until China!

GrittyPretty said...

andi, can you raise my future children? please sign on the dotted line.

bug girl said...

I have a feeling Xan will be bored in Kindergarten. I bet the teacher teaches him things like the alphabet and colors. Xan is leaps and yards beyond the teacher already.

andi said...

carolyn - I will have to google Jimmy Microbe.

Michelle - 8 weeks? I can't believe it. Did you find someone to live in your house while your away? Are you coming to Ut. before leaving?

Raquel - I think we signed on the dotted line the other way around. I am no good with chickens and my children NEED you!

Kim - I have been thinking of taking a UVSC class in microbiology so I can keep him on track. Maybe I could hire you to be his tutor. Let me know.

liz j said...

My mom and sisters and I just went to the Body World exhibit at the museum in San Jose and then spent some good time in the bookstore where I almost bought myself a DNA kit. Such cool stuff!

And seriously, I'd do just about anything for cool blue gloves too.

brooklyn said...

it's posts like these that stokes my infatuation with you and your family. over-the-top cool.

brittany said...

lol! andi, i think your xan may know more about biology than i do...which is bad, i still need to take that class so i can graduate.

About Me

I avoid house work by field-tripping with my kids. I avoid my kids by blogging.