Friday, May 2, 2008
Now For Something Completely Different.
What in the world could these three things have in common? I'll tell you. I was talking to my sister, Marcia, in Jersey the other day and she confided in me that she has a secret obsession. When ever she is out driving around, she is always on the look out for abandoned babies in a baskets. What? She says there is no particular reason why she thinks she might find a baby in a basket, no secret past or psychic connection -- she is just always on the lookout.
Well, this made me have to confess MY secret obsession. When ever I am out driving around, I am always on the look out for beautiful abandoned kitchen tables. Don't ask me why. It is just a visceral feeling I have that I might one day find the perfect antique kitchen table by the side of the road on trash day.
But there are THREE Pitcher sisters ... It just so happens that my older sister, Shauna, secretly searches the side of the road for lost wedding rings. Personally, I think of the three, I stand the greatest chance of all of actually finding my hidden treasure. Kitchen tables are way bigger than wedding rings. Wedding rings, however, are worth much more than a kitchen table so that makes Shauna's quest better than mine. Marcia, of course, wins with her abandoned baby thing. Just think of the talk she could write for sacrament meeting if she actually finds one. She always wins. (But I'm not bitter.)
After having this conversation I have found that my subconscious is going for the jackpot. Today I missed a turn because I was searching the alley for -- you got it -- a baby in a basket hidden under an antique kitchen table who's wearing its lost mother's wedding ring.
What do you secretly look for when you are out driving around? (Or is this just a Pitcher sister thing?)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- andi
- I avoid house work by field-tripping with my kids. I avoid my kids by blogging.



18 comments:
When Massi's mother was visiting from Italy, she was walking by the train tracks in south Provo and saw something shiny. It was a little bit buried, but found a diamond ring (pretty big diamond too). And when we were in Paris a lady walking in front of us picked up a gold ring on the ground, asked if it was ours, which is was not. She tried it on me and since it fit my finger said I should keep it. She then asked for some money, and since we had about 4 euros, she took back the ring and our 4 euros. The we had no cash for bread when we were hungry, which was sad. I wanted to see if she did the ring trick to other people too. So both of these examples are from walking and not driving, and one involves a scam. Anyway. . .Good luck with the table and baby!
French bakeries.
I win.
(FUN post.)
Anne - 1. Was it Massi's diamond ring she found?
2. I love the scam story! Just think how much the French lady could get if she pretended to find a baby. Double if it was a real FRENCH baby.
Geo - Ooooh, you most certainly do win.
Chairs and/or footstools.
Hey--when is your mexico wedding? I'm trying to get you another gig!
this isn't in the car so much, but i always have my eye out for a pregnant woman in sudden rapid labor...seriously, i walk through all kinds of scenarios. if i see a mama with a bursting belly in target, i day dream about ordering bystanders to get towels or sheets off the shelves then getting that baby skin to skin with a blanket around both of them. i always watch for pregnant women before boarding a plane too. i think this is only slightly more likely than finding a baby in a basket.
We Pitcher sisters definitely have our oddities...I can still feel my legs stuck to the vinyl seats of my school bus in Houston in August (Muskrat Love on the bus radio)--looking out the 1/2-way-down slider window at every stop. Just maybe I'd see a little sparkle down in the grass--just a prong perhaps! I have wanted a metal detector ever since.
I also always wished that a wedding ring would show up in the lost and found at church since while my dad was bishop he said I could have anything left in there longer than a couple of months--no ring ever showed up, but I did get a groovy navy blue patent leather trench coat though!
Hi, Andi: I have read and enjoyed your blog for a long time now. I sometimes feel like forwarding your comments/photos to people who don't even know you (but I never do). I've just been a "lurker." I, too, used to fantasize about finding a baby in a basket. I used to weigh the ethical choices should someone ring my doorbell, leave a baby, and run off. Would I keep it, or would I report it to the authorities? I think I would lean toward keeping it -- I have three adopted kids -- sort of explains my mindset, I guess. I was raised to be a rockhound, so I'm always looking at the beach, in a stream bed, or on a gravel path for agates, jasper, or arrowheads. By the way, I enjoyed having Marco here. Next time, he says, you will come, too, and there would be room for the two little ones.
I know about your "table" thing. You and I both know who's kitchen table you really want. Amazing the memories that one table has.
Great post. The three Pitcher sisters are great. I'm always on the lookout for interesting plants and flowers. I'll stop and ask people for starts, seeds etc. Once got a peony start of a 100 year old plant (white with a pale green center) from the nicest man in Btfl. Promise me spring is almost here.
Judy
Sonja - I was SO jealous that Marco was in DC with out me. He promises me a trip east this spring/summer. I will let you know when we will be there!
Judy - There were two of those kitchen tables, no? Where is the other one? I am going have to make finding it my new quest.
I don't look for stuff as much as I have this completely disturbing obsessive thought about putting my roller skate clad foot out the car door and having it roll along at the speed of the car. then I think it would get pulled under and I would get smushed.. tables are good.
Do you want the good news or the bad news first. Realist that I am I always ask for the bad news first. The second table (dorothy told us to take them both but we thought that might be rude so we left one for the new owners) and they put it out side and it just warped and discenagrated. I'm so sorry- I didn't know until later that you wanted it. In the end if none of my kids want it I'll leave instructions that your to have it.
Yes you can have a start of the peony. It's only bloomed once so I'll have to wait till they bloom(I have about 12) then I'll mark it and get you a start. Also I have three of the Blackgama books and I'll drop one off to you the next time I'm in Happy Valley.
I found a man's wedding ring on the side of the road years ago. I put up a sign, but nobody ever claimed it. It came in handy, since I used it to propose to Drew on BYU campus. I got the ring and the husband. Rock on.
IRT- Lizzy--that's totally rad!
ANDI-when in the heck are ya gonna get your photo website up and running?!
Liz - You have always reminded my of your auntie Marcia. Both of you always win!
KJ - I am getting to it. I just realized I have to shoot more horizontal wedding stuff. (Which won't happen until June.)
I tend to look out for exclusive chocolate shops as I drive. Today I found one in Knoxville. I'm planning on paying it a visit tomorrow.
Still no furniture in our apartment! Coming up on day #3 in a hotel. Fun fun fun.
Call me!
katie - I think you and Georgia would really hit it off!
French men ;)
Post a Comment