Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Land of Sneed



Today was running a little slow so I just couldn't resist taking Xanny to Sneed's on 8th & eye st. for a real Marine Barracks Row haircut. This is the same place Marco got his stylish do a couple of weeks ago. And it was worth every cent of the ten dollar kid's cut!



I have to say, Xanny practically glowed in this place. No, really, he was whiter than the towel wrapped around his shoulders. Sneed didn't really look too excited about the camera until I told him Xanny's sister is serving overseas and she checks on him via the internet. I didn't tell him she was serving as a Mormon missionary serving in South Africa.

One of my favorite details was the price list. Look closely. Does Sneed always charge George W. double? Maybe that is for a different kind of bush. Personally I would charge "W" double for just about anything. It's the least I can do for my kids who will be paying double for the rest of their lives for having "W" for the last eight years.


If you know anything about our neighborhood you know this picture is a bit of a mixed metaphor. No kid who's mom bought him a "rebuild eastern market" tee-shirt off the MoTH list gets his hair cut at Sneed's. But MoTH (Mom's on The Hill) is a story for another day. You know how I LOVE Utah obituaries - in DC my daily fix is MoTH.
What do you do with a 4 year old after he gets his first real Marine haircut? Well, walk him directly across the street to get a picture with a real Marine. I love this city.

------------------------------------------------------

Sneed, Xanny and Reverend King.

4 comments:

Kaje said...

I am so in love with that last picture.
I want to paint it someday.

SO, I'M MISSING YOU LOTS AND LOTS! I'm in this fantastic book arts class and so i'm surrounded by happy paper texture and color and bliss! It all reminds me of the fabulous creations you just whip together. ( Baby announcements, birthday cards, mother's day greetings and perfect Valentines Day cards, oh my!)

Hope you know how very cool I think you are.

bug girl said...

That was great. That was a really great post. I especially love that you pointed out the Bush thing on the price board. It has to be George W., how could it not be, I just don't think...no it couldn't be.

marshall p said...

I'm in heart with that marine. he's at least 18, right?

andi said...

KJ-Really we must end up in the same city at some point in your life. How is that going to happen? I will have to follow you to Maine this fall. Can I bring some friends?

Kim- The picture I didn't put in (but maybe I will as an editor's note) was an autograqhed picture of George W.

Marsha-I completely forgot that you love a man in uniform. That is how I am going to get you out here. My ward is full of service men.

About Me

I avoid house work by field-tripping with my kids. I avoid my kids by blogging.