Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Family Home Evening Ideas for Children

Family Home Evening for Dummies





I was talking to Kirsten a little while ago and the idea of FHE came up. We talked about how scriptures are a little over a three year old's comprehensions and many of the "Ideas for FHE" books resemble a different church than she and I might attend. So, how do you teach little people gospel ideas with out going nuts because of the "manual"?





This is what we do ...



First, I get a kid to go ring the doorbell profusely. This is the sign that FHE is ready to start. I try to use this when it is time to have family prayer too. It's a good way to get little kids excited just about ANYTHING. Have them ring the door bell - like a real grown up - and they will be totally into it.


Next, we start with the standard song and prayer. The core of FHE is always stories. We have a big box of all the standard church graphics of stories from the scriptures and gospel ideas. You know the art I am talking about. It's not perfect, but usually not offensive. (Sorry, I am a bit of a snob when it comes to "church" art. If Marsha Ellis would paint all of the stories of the scriptures I would buy them all and teach my kids with those!)



Marco lets each kid pick out 2 or 3 (it always ends up being 7 or 8) of their favorite pictures. Warning: It is decidedly more difficult to find the girl pictures, but they are there and Zina is always good at digging until she finds them.




Then we just sit around and tell stories. I know it's not a novel idea, but it works. We as parents get to decide if we mention whether the "good guy" chopped all the arms off of the "hungry guys" -- uh, I mean, "bad guys". In our story to our three year old, they merely had a nice talk about stealing instead of just asking for some sheep. (My pet-peeve of my mission -- to this day -- is the chapter in the Missionary Guide on Charity. The MORE effective example of charity in this book was the story about chopping off arms. What was that all about? All of the teachings of Jesus and they pick the worse story in BOM. The story about starving peasants that were just trying to feed their families. Maybe the king was greedy and just didn't want to share. Did you ever think about that? But I digress ...)


I also like to do a game of "Go Find" using random things around the house as a "Just like the gospel" scavenger hunt. "Go find" something in the house that is just like the star that the wise men followed. This is a really good exercise to build talk writing skills in the future.

Last week one of our stories was about Joseph and Potiphar's wife. He went to jail and used a neat trick of interpreting the dreams of Pharaoh as his ticket out of there.

"Go find something in our house that is just like Joseph's Coat of Many Colors."

Next Xanny "went to jail" and had to come up with a good trick to get him out of there. Did you know he can whistle? It's a talent.
Zina's trick for getting out of jail is the BEST. She can touch her tongue to her nose. It's genetic, she inherited this skill from my mother.

Then we just end with ... well, another 7 stories. Works every time.



In the name of Jesus Christ, AMEN.

12 comments:

bug girl said...

That was really weird. I was reading your blog and you mentioned Marsha and I thought, "Hey, I didn't know my friend Kim knew Marsha...that's weird, must be a different Marsha." then I kept reading and thinking that the photo of Zina holding the picture was so artfully done, only I wasn't thinking that the girl was Zina or Xan was Xan. And then Marco showed up in the picture and I thought, "Hey, that's Marco...Who's blog am I reading?" Then I realized I was reading YOUR blog. I don't know how I got confused, except that there are SO many blogs to read. But HOW did I ever get confused about your blog? I must be tired, maybe a bit fuzzy in the head.

Grand Life said...

Hi Sweetie: Oh how I remember the great days of flannel board stories and good treats at the end. When Tim was married the Temple Sealer ask him what special memories he had and he said "Family Home Evening and the stories and games". I felt warm and fuzzy. FHE now consists of dinner in front of "Two and a half Men". We've slid a little.

brooklyn said...

love the ideas and pictures (despite that they put my efforts to shame)! you're hardcore FHEist to spend that much time! LOVE the yarn pictures. do really own that much yarn? wow.

i also love the previous two posts. you've worked some voodoo magic in them to have made utah seem like the best and most interesting place in the world to me. i almost think surprise magic pockets in the midst of blah is better than a whole city full of eclectic and interesting stuff.

andi said...

Kim - I didn't know my friend, Kim, knew Marsha either. What is going on in that little brain of your? I think you should come on down for some brain therapy!

Judy - Do you still have the flannel board? I think it would make for a good post.

Brooklyn - I wish I lived in Provo instead of Orem. I am telling you, the hip and groovy from our days at BYU are definitely taking over down town. Why not move back? One day I will talk you into it!

Geo said...

No Krispy Kremes?

(Otherwise: awesome.)

Geo said...

By the way, is that a RUG, and did you felt it yourself?

I think I will throw Rob in jail next FHE and see what sort of trick he comes up with to get out.

kelly said...

we love the gospel art kit too! lucy can't get past the animal picture of creation though- she just wants to see the animals, oh and pictures of baby jesus. i'm impressed with the nose to tongue trick!

kelly said...

and when marsha comes out with those "scripture pictures through the eyes of marsha", i want a copy too-

Kaje said...

are you feeling better yet? :(

erin T to the S said...

you're a good girl, Andrea.
My thing is always having some sort of drama aspect and costumes (go figure) but the last time we did Samuel the lamanite and threw balloon rocks and spears at each one of us while we took turns being him, it freaked Dellah out that we were trying to harm her. At least she won't forget to obey the prophet...maybe.

Grand Life said...

Andi-- are you not feeling well- let me know. I'll bring chicken soup. Thought about you as I left Happy Valley this afternoon with my tail between my legs. You have inspired my girls- one or two are coming for extended visits to cabin without hubby's. Mike and Kandice are being married May 2nd at Log Haven- small, small wedding and family dinner. They are grownups now and paying for everything themselves. How cool is that. Kandice has a photographer and dummy me, I didn't even suggest this incredible Mom/photographer I know in Orem. Sorry, I've been kinda out of it for a month. Love ya, Judy

marshall p said...

aww. you're nice.

About Me

I avoid house work by field-tripping with my kids. I avoid my kids by blogging.