When is the last time you made a nice meal, lit some candles and had a lovely dinner with your girl cousins on your dad's side of the family. Speaking for myself, it been far too long. Luckily, I had Marcia's great Sambal recipe and Shauna as the event coordinator, what better combo is there for a get-together? Lisa was in town from Washington state, which made it easy to clear the calendar of the mundane. She has a kid on a mission in Jamaica, one at school at BYU-I and two that lovingly keep her company at home in Washington.
Shauna showed even though she endured facial reconstruction surgery earlier in the week. You can hardly tell in this shot that she just had a face-lift. (Well, she does live in Alpine.) Actually, it was just a few moles removed.
Emily was also there. I am so embarrassed by how little we get together even though we live in the same city. Especially because I like her so much. Our excuse is a good one -- the Child Birth Vortex of Alienation. It is a syndrome where each of your pregnancies takes approximately one universe away from anyone you know and love. There is hope. Studies have shown that if you take the sum of your children and add it to your age, the result is the number of years it will take you to reclaim your former life. See you when I'm 62.
Mostly we swapped stories about Grandma Favorite. We all had a story about her saying that all her young life men had told her what to do. After her father and husband had passed on to the other side, she wasn't letting any men tell her how to live her life. Other favorite memories included advise to pretend we were walking with a penny stuck between our buns and how her stomach would give her "fits" from ulcers. I hadn't realized that she had a good portion of her stomach remove (and all her teeth) in an effort to cure the ulcers. She also would comment while in a temple session that she was missing her favorite TV shows. Now I know were I get my deep spirituality.We had a great time and we wish more sister-cousins would have made it. Friends may be forever, but family is decidedly more fun.
4 comments:
looked magical and was inspiring to get together with women more. (i'm currently stuck deep in the vortex)
i light candles at every meal I serve. they are so lovely. like you. look on my blog for a response to your AMAZING dream analysis.
Huh? You're deep.
I'll never think the same way again about "penny-pinchers."
Brooklyn - I think you are in with-draws from hanging out with so many great people in Utah over Christmas. You should just live here.
zina - He,he,he.
Geo - I love it. Is the deep part the Friends are Forever? It is from my cousin Emily and refers (tongue in cheek) to family members who seem to prefer to hang out with friends instead of family.
Post a Comment