Saturday, October 13, 2007

Closure


Kristina & Kevin Hammer


Almost as much as I love a good obituary, I love a good Orem City Crime report. They arrive in my inbox daily, complete with photos and stories from the under-belly of our fair city. Usually it is just entertaining. Today it is personal.
-
A few of you will remember the lovely red handbag given to me by my mother several years ago. You may remember that the bag, along with all its contents and a make-up bag, was stolen last May. You may also recall my mission to find out who did it. If not -- I will tell the story.
-
When the credit card company call early in the morning and asked if I really did order $872.98 worth of baseball cards online, I realized that my purse was not at the bottom of the box of kid trailings I schlepped in from the car the day before. Checking the several cards I had in my bag on line we learned of close to $2000 of other charges at places like Shopco, Sprint, Albertsons and $200 in car washes at the gas station of 8th north and State St. We called the police and the card companies. Both said we wouldn't have to honor the charges and both seemed very disinterested in tracking down the lovely people who lifted my plastic. So I decided to see how far I could get on my own.
-
I called the baseball card company out of Yonkers, NY and told them not to send the cards but could I please get the address to which the order was to be mailed. In a very Yonkers accent the fellow told me that he was suspicious of the order when he noticed a nice lady in Utah indicated an email address of hugejohnson4-20@yahoo.com. "I says to my wife ... It's Mother's Day and some lady in Utah is ordering $872.98 in cards with this email address? I don't think so." He gave me the an address and wished me a Happy Mother's Day and I went to stake it out.
-
The house was vacant and for sale, so naturally, I called the realtor. As I took a tour of the house posing as a prospective buyer, I gathered as much information on the sly about the previous tenant as possible. The family consisted of a guy and his common-law wife who's daughter was living with them along with her husband and baby. After months of loud parties and no rent, they had been evicted just the week prior. No forwarding address was left behind, surprise. What they did leave behind were the stacks of collection notices and warrants for bounced checks. What caught my eye was the bill from the pediatric clinic for Kristina Hamer and her child, calling the baby (at least to this clinic) Crystal M. Hamer. No joke -- they told the doctor their child was named for their drug of choice.
-
I wrote down all the names I had seen and turned them over to the detective at the police station. All I got back was a polite note saying all the names matched people that have a history with credit card fraud but no known address. And that was the last I heard from the police.
Last week the following crime report put faces on my adventures of Mother's Day 2006. How sad for little girl, Crystal Meth. I know that staying at Grandma's house is no safer than driving around, asleep in the back seat while Ma and Pa are again casing garages on Palisades Dr. -- my neighborhood.

**********


07OR41711 - BURGLARY ARRESTS - 30-year-old Kevin John Hamer and his 28-year-old wife, Kristina Ann Hamer, of Springville, packed up their 4-year-old daughter in the car 2:00 am Saturday morning and came to Orem to do some burglaries. They looked for homes with open garage doors and stole from them.

An 18-year-old Orem man had opened the garage door at his residence on Palisade Drive and gone back into the house for a moment before leaving. When he went back into the garage, he saw Kristina Hamer run from his garage and jump into the passenger side of the Pontiac sedan driven by John Hamer and speed away. The witness followed the burglars in his own vehicle down Orem's Center Street and into Provo as he called the police. The thieves made a u-turn and retraced their path back into Orem, making an obscene gesture to the witness as they turned and passed him.
Officers stopped the Hamers at 500 E. Center Street in Orem.
The Hamers were arrested for burgalry after admitted and showing officers where they had gone and what they had taken. The pair was also in possession of methamphetamine. Their 4-year-old child was turned over to a grandmother while mommy and daddy Hamer went to the Utah County jail.

21 comments:

GrittyPretty said...

Oh the culture of weekend garage stealing! Well good investigative work, Andi. You'd make a brilliant detective. Are you accepting any freelance cases? And most importantly, will you ever see your red bag again??

Urban Harvester said...

Hi Andi- That's crazy! Raquel just showed me this post. You are so Veronica Mars! We had a lawnmower and a chainsaw stolen in Provo. Can you get on the case? Thanks, Oliver

David said...

also, find out if these turds stole my kids scooter

bug girl said...

I remember reading about this couple because the headline said something about their activities being a family affair. I hope the duo takes some time now to think about other wholesome activities they can do when they get out of the slammer in a few weeks. You know, something more educational, like stealing purses, backpacks and jackets at the local library.

andi said...

Smith-Calli - Did the robber at least mow the yard on the way out?

Dave - In DC I would laugh when ever I would see giant grown men riding around on Strawberry Shortcake bikes. It was fairly common and everyone pretended they didn't see them.

Kim - I just came from the library and kept close watch on my purse just in case.

brooklyn said...

and you didn't want to come back to utah?! action like that is hard to come by! this post merits three superlatives: 1. you--coolest 2. little girl--saddest 3. that couple--unbelievablest rediculousest funniest ever!

erin T to the S said...

closure. well done watson.

Whitney said...

when i first saw those photos, i thought you took them. they are amazing

andi said...

Brooklyn - Orem is brutal to its law breakers. I can't imagine any real city getting away with sending felon-photos out to every resident.

Erin - I think I missed my real calling in life.

Whitney - I'm not that good as a photographer. See above.

Carolyn said...

Between Andi the super sleuth and the Orem hot rod resident, the Orem police should put you on retainers.....I hope you remind the police about your red bag (tell the credit card company too --- they may push for an arrest on their credit cards)

You go girl!

Carolyn

ginger said...

you're awesome andi

David said...

I'm not sure how to take that. Maybe a thinly veiled insult? Maybe I'm not welcome in this corner of the blogosphere. Strawberry shortcake bikes? Seriously?

Cindy Bean said...

Awesome! Be careful though, what if these meth freaks are also bloggers and find you via the internet and come and steal your new couch?

Dave, you're welcome to come comment on my blog if you want. I will not throw any thinly veiled insults at you.

Geo said...

Incredibly sad.

But, hey, good work on your part! You're a super-sleuth!

andi said...

carolyn - I am trying to decide if contacting the police again is going to make any difference. I most likely will get in touch again ....

ginger - I wonder if this couple considers their fieldtrip with their four year old a homeschool activity?

dave - why does it always have to be about you?

geo - I am just glad these folks didn't take your dog. That would have been too much to take.

cindy - NOT MY SOFA!!!! (maybe I should put a B-B-Q cover over it when I am not using it as a clever disguise.)

David said...

It doesn't. I just didn't understand what you were getting at. Because if you were implying that a fat guy like me looks ridiculous on a scooter (which is probably true) I would be insulted.

And seriously, I wonder if the Hammers stole my kids' scooter that I made. Any idea?

Persianlass said...

I know those people. They lived next door when we lived in SLC.
Damn them...now I know where my Bollywood card collection went.

andi said...

Nadia - Was that YOUR Bollywood card collection I bought on e-bay last year?

Cory CL said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cory CL said...

iurtweqddffftuopjufdsnvjivgughcgffggjnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnhgfdsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss][]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]iiiiiytrewsdfghjklvcxzaqwerttyuiophhhhhhhggsdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffutyhgbnmnbvczaqwre

Cory CL said...

Those comments were from my kids after I stepped away from the computer. I just found them...sorry. You know how they can be! But good job on the detective work. I'll be sure to keep my garage and stuff closed when we move up there next week.

About Me

I avoid house work by field-tripping with my kids. I avoid my kids by blogging.